Brighton / Remote, UK
About the role
We are looking for a senior analytics engineer who has the experience and skills to design and build excellent data models (and tests). These models will be used across the business and will drive value in our various products, dashboards and company metrics.
We typically work in an AWS, Snowflake, dbt, Looker and Fivetran stack and you should be comfortable working with these (or very similar) technologies.
You will maintain and build models using dbt in our snowflake data warehouse, enabling our downstream data needs, minimising our cloud costs, driving best practice and automating our data governance.
On a typical day you might be discussing requirements with stakeholders across the business, designing and implementing modelling solutions in dbt or looker, or perhaps writing the tests which guarantee that requirements are met.
The models you are creating will typically be used to power our looker dashboards and client reports, our key business metrics or perhaps our recommendation engine or other machine learning systems.
To be successful in this role you will need to be a friendly team player with strong communication skills, who can gather clear requirements, and demonstrate the ability to design and create clear, verifiable and maintainable data models.
You may also be interested in growing into a team lead position, and if so, we would be happy to work with you to help develop the skills to make this move.
The person we’re looking for
- Passionate about designing and delivering solutions to complex problems
- Curious with a desire for continuous learning
- Friendly with a collaborative attitude to solving problems
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with task organisational skills
- Comfortable both expressing your opinions and also listening to the opinions of others as required by the situation
- Experienced and passionate for Data Modelling, ELT projects and Big Data
You’ll be responsible for
- Collecting requirements from the wider data team and other decision makers
- Translating use cases, pain points and success criteria into technical requirements
- Designing, building, maintaining and upgrading data pipelines and self-service tooling to provide clean, efficient results
- Writing automated tests to validate if requirements have been met
- Fixing bugs in a timely manner
- Serving as Data Model subject matter expert and data model spokesperson
- Promoting data governance through documentation, observability and controls
- Implementing solutions which meet our coding standards
- Using version control and performing code reviews
- Promoting adoption of tools and best practices across the team
Skills & Experience
- Strong experience in the discovery and communication of requirements from a wide variety of stakeholders
- Strong commercial expertise using dbt
- Excellent SQL skills
- Experience with Looker/LookML or similar
- Experience with AWS/Snowflake/Python/Fivetran or similar
- Experience with analytics schema design
- Experience modelling tracking data
- Previous commercial experience in the Data space as an analyst, engineer, scientist, or equivalent
- Experience managing the same data models over time and evolving those models to meet new business requirements
Application deadline: 08/07/2022