Analytics Engineer / Senior Analytics Engineer
Brighton / Remote, UK
About the role
You are a mid/senior level contributor working within our data engineering team, where you perform the crucial role of designing, building and updating our data models and tests which enable our downstream workflows.
We typically work in an aws, snowflake, dbt, looker and fivetran stack and you should be comfortable working with these (or very similar) technologies.
You’ll maintain and build models in our snowflake data warehouse, enabling our downstream data needs, minimising our cloud costs, driving best practices across all of our data disciplines and automating our data governance.
On a typical day you might be collecting requirements from the wider data team or other stakeholders, designing and implementing modelling solutions in dbt or looker. Or perhaps writing the tests which guarantee that requirements are met.
The models you are creating will typically be used to power our looker dashboards and client reports or perhaps our recommendation or machine learning systems.
To be successful in this role you will need to design and create clear, logical, verifiable and maintainable data models which enable our analysts and data scientists to easily find and utilise the data that they need.
The person we’re looking for
– Passionate about designing and delivering solutions to complex problems
– Curious with a desire for continuous learning
– Friendly with a collaborative attitude to solving problems
– Excellent communication skills
– Self-motivated and self-managing, with task organisational skills
– Comfortable both expressing your opinions and also listening to the opinions of others as required by the situation
– Experienced and passionate for Data Modelling, ELT projects and Big Data
You’ll be responsible for
– Collecting requirements from the wider data team and other decision makers
– Translating use cases, pain points and success criteria into technical requirements
– Designing, building, maintaining and upgrading data pipelines and self-service tooling to provide clean, efficient results
– Writing automated tests to validate requirements are met
– Fixing bugs in a timely manner
– Serving as Data Model subject matter expert and data model spokesperson
– Promoting data governance through documentation, observability and controls
– Implementing solutions which meet our coding standards
– Using version control and performing code reviews
– Promoting adoption of tools and best practices across the team
Skills and experience
– Strong commercial expertise using dbt
– Excellent SQL skills
– Solid experience with aws/snowflake/looker/fivetran or similar
– Previous commercial experience in the Data space as an analyst, engineer, scientist, or equivalent
– Experience managing the same data models over time and evolving those models to meet new business requirements